Clay B. Tousey, Jr.
Chip has practiced trust and estate law since 1976 and was an original member of the firm in 1978. Chip is an author of several publications (including Administration of Trusts in Florida and Basic Practice under the Florida Probate Code) and has been a frequent lecturer on estate planning topics (including “Estate Planning for Owners of Closely Held Businesses” at the NYU Institute on Federal Taxation). Chip was elected by his national peers to be a Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel in 1987 and has been a Florida Bar Board Certified specialist in Wills, Trusts and Estates law since 1986.
A native of Jacksonville, Chip attended the University of Florida (with a major in accounting) and Duke Law School, where he was chosen to be a member of the Law Journal. Chip has been recognized by his peers by being selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America, as well as a Florida “Super Lawyer” and one of Florida Trend’s Legal Elite.
He was also honored with the Best Lawyers in America Lawyer of the Year award in 2014 and again in 2017.
Chip has been married to his wife, Phyllis, an epidemiologist, since 1973, and they have two children, Meredith and Clay. Chip is an elder of Palms Presbyterian Church and a director of The Jacksonville Symphony, The Cummer Museum, Gator Boosters and enjoys playing tennis in his free time.
- Counsel and advise clients in their estate planning and help them create and execute appropriate tools, such as wills, revocable trusts, insurance trusts, charitable trusts, family partnerships, residence trusts, and grantor trusts.
- Help trustees and personal representatives after a death to quickly and efficiently distribute assets to beneficiaries, and educate them on other necessary duties that must be performed.
- Counsel and advise clients on planned charitable gifting opportunities, such as family foundations, charitable remainder trusts and charitable lead trusts.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Charitable Planned Giving
- Trust and Estate Administration
Education & Credentials
- University of Florida (B.A./B.S. in Accounting, with highest honors; 1973)
- Duke University Law School ( J.D. 1976)
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (since 1987)-Member of Charitable Planning Committee
- Florida Bar Board Certified Wills, Trusts and Estates Attorney (since 1986)
- AV rated-Martindale Hubbell
Author & Lecturer
- Administration of Trusts in Florida,1981
- Basic Practice Under the Florida Probate Code,1989
- Contributing editor, Journal of Partnership Taxation, 1989-1995
- Estate Planning for Owners of Closely Held Businesses, NYU Institute on Federal Taxation,1989
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Member, Real Property and Probate sections)
- The Florida Bar (Member, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law and Tax sections)